Travelling with pets
Transporting animals in the aircraft
airBaltic will transport pets (only cats and dogs)* either in the passenger cabin (as hand luggage) or in the aircraft’s cargo hold (as checked baggage), depending on the animal’s weight and size.
Passengers travelling with an animal must read the import and export regulations for animal transportation to their desired destination, and must comply with all animal welfare provisions before booking their flight. This information may be obtained from the relevant country’s consulate. The passenger must obtain all documents, including import, export, transit documents and health and vaccination certificates required for the pet’s transportation.
If a pet is to be transported in the cargo compartment, the pet must be checked-in at least 1 hour before the scheduled flight.
*other animal species must be transported in manifested cargo only. Please contact airBaltic Cargo
Informing the airline
Information about the pet must be provided when booking the ticket. This information is important to the airline as there are strict regulations to be followed. Please contact us if booking tickets online, or inform your travel agent if booking your ticket at a travel agency.
Only a certain number of pets are allowed on each flight. If the number of pets exceeds the quota on a particular flight, or if the aircraft configuration does not allow for animal transportation, the airline can refuse transportation.
Please note that the service must be requested in advance as prior confirmation is required. Upon receiving the confirmation, payment must be arranged via our online payment service in a timely manner.
Small dogs AND cats in the cabin
A dog or cat may be transported in the cabin (as hand luggage) in the passenger’s own carrier box.
- Max. dimensions of the container: 55 x 40 x 23 cm (length x width x height) watertight, bite-proof.
- The weight of the animal + box may not exceed 8 kg.
- The box can contain a maximum of 2 pets as long as they are of the same kind.
- The animal must fit comfortably in the box or container; otherwise, check-in may be denied.
Pet transportation in the cabin costs a non-refundable fee of 60 EUR per direction.
Larger animals in the CHECKED BAGGAGE
Animals that cannot be transported inside the cabin (as hand luggage) shall be transported in appropriate, animal-friendly containers in the cargo hold area (as checked baggage). Passengers must provide their own container for animal transportation.
airbaltic will transport only cats and dogs.
- The weight of the animal + container may not exceed 75 kg.
- The animal must fit comfortably in the crate; otherwise, check-in may be denied.
- A maximum of two animals of the same kind (two cats or two dogs) of comparable size and weighing up to 14 kg each can be transported in one crate.
- A maximum of three young animals (up to 6 months old) are allowed in one crate.
- The number of pets that may accompany the owner or an authorised person during a single non-commercial movement cannot exceed five.
Animal transportation in the cargo hold costs a non-refundable fee of:
- 100 EUR per direction if the weight of the animal + container is 1-32 kg;
- 200 EUR per direction if the weight of the animal + container exceeds 32 kg (up to 75 kg).
Please note: all animals that exceed the weight of 75 kg (animal + container) shall be transported as manifested cargo only. Information about transporting an animal with airBaltic Cargo.
Special airBaltic rules apply to flights to/from the United Kingdom, Ireland, Iceland and the United Arab Emirates.
On airBaltic flights TO the United Kingdom, Iceland, Ireland and the United Arab Emirates:
- Animals allowed as manifested cargo only.
- It is not allowed to bring pets into the cabin of the aircraft (as hand luggage), nor to transport them in the cargo hold (as checked baggage).
On airBaltic flights FROM the United Kingdom, Iceland, Ireland and the United Arab Emirates:
- Animals allowed in Cargo hold only (as checked baggage) or manifested cargo.
- It is not allowed to bring pets into the cabin (as hand luggage), except for service dogs.
For other relevant information please visit:
Please note: the given fees and norms are applicable if all flights in your itinerary are operated by airBaltic.
Please note! The given prices and information replace any information published previously and are subject to amendments or cancellation taken unilaterally by airBaltic at any time. The equivalent of the given prices in a different currency may vary depending on the currency fluctuation and applied rate. A bank applies its own exchange rates and commissions, thus the total amount may differ from that on the website.